9 Days in Bangkok, Thailand

Discussion in 'Travel' started by wolfsbane93, Dec 11, 2017.

1. wolfsbane93

wolfsbane93 Well-Known Member

Hello all, I will use this thread to track my trip to BKK. I will do my best to be specific and pass along good Intel...though all the seasoned veterans will likely just reminisce and not learn anything new. Plan to hit 3 main spots. Nana, Cowboy, Soi 22. I'm sure their will be more. Staying off Sukhimvit 50 in an Airbnb...will also be investigating some monthly rentals while I am there.

7 days till launch...having my last beers before I take a short break to quickly detox and eat right. Don't want to get sick.

Winston wolf, Saint, drifter and 4 others like this.
  2. NoDoubt

NoDoubt Well-Known Member

Good luck- & congrats- How long are you going for? Keep us posted.

BobbyTwoTimes and Skins like this.
  3. wolfsbane93

9 days, hence the name of the thread. LOL. then at the end of March, I permanently relocate. Destination will depend on the job situation, but will likely start in BKK and then run down to PP for a while as a home base to do visa runs from. Figure it out from there.

BobbyTwoTimes and Skins like this.
  4. NoDoubt

Ha. But I did mean how long meaning in SE Asia.. But good for you making the move and good luck with the job sitch. Def following with interest

5. wolfsbane93

oh, you mean once I go for the big move! well it really depends on how things work out over the next few weeks. if I land this job in Makati, Phil...then I will be there no less than 5 years. Could be longer if I parley that into the next opportunity and the next. If I do not , then my timeline becomes more finite. I will have enough funds to last me 3 years @ 50K USD per year roughly. Of course, if I get hurt or sick or something, this could be drastically reduced. So I am thinking safely, 2 years solo with no income...then if I have not produced another job or way to earn cash by then...bring my sorry ass back to the USA with my tail between my legs. Of course, I will have mad stories by then. Should make for an interesting collection of short stories.

wanderluster likes this.
  6. James.Master

James.Master Well-Known Member

Good luck for your trip. I'm sure we're all looking forward to it.

I'm not a BKK expert but have done a few trips. Soi 50 seems a long way from the action. I stayed in an air bnb in I think soi 13 or 15 which was still walking distance to the action. I suppose soi 50 was cheaper?

Here's an insiders tip. On Friday or Saturday nights my rich bkk friends go to Maggie Choo bar. This place has to be seen to be believed. It's a hidden basement under a 5 star hotel. Live music, Hostess girls (not pros) in their purple wigs swinging from the roof. Great place to meet higher class Thai girls. I had a blast. Just do a Google image search on Maggie Choo and you'll have the idea.

7. James.Master

James.Master Well-Known Member

You'll go crazy if you're not working (I tried this). Find some way to stay busy and increase your disposable income.

8. wolfsbane93

For sure, great advice and I do have some plans. There will be a short term down side, something like a sabbatical, but you must know me so well already. I am one of those people who cannot sit still for too long else I drink myself to death or make bad decisions, haha. Just need to figure out what the next step is. Thought about blogging, writing a few ebooks, writing a novel (everyone says this but rarely deliver), to volunteer work maybe to increase the philanthropy side of my CV

James.Master likes this.
  9. wolfsbane93

I will defintely look forward to this. The decision to Airbnb where I am is the fact that my buddy lives right around the corner. Right by the BTS On Nut, so a quick train ride that is super cheap takes you by the action. After BTS hours, then a taxi or a moto gets you back, its pretty simple and low cost. 300 for the 9 days, not necessarily cheap , but new, super clean and safe.

drifter and James.Master like this.
  10. wolfsbane93

James, BTW, we are very close to the same age. Getting ready to celebrate my 43rd in BKK. Greatness.

James.Master likes this.
  11. NoDoubt

Good info. I am also hoping to make the move (next 18 months) and will make the move with no less than 150K in the bank. Your budget of 50K a month is a lot. Think you can find out that after you get out of the honeymoon stage you can live a decent life at 25K a year. But thats just what I read and figure out myself. (and continue to be single)...

Good that you know your vice/downfall, which could be Alcohol. If you learn to curb that, and hussle, stay motivated things can work out... I will follow closely as I am not too far behind you (I hope).

12. wolfsbane93

Yikes, did I say 50K per month...lol. I meant to say year on that one. Sorry about that. Geez, if only I had that kind of cash laying around...I would not wait until March to move, I would be tossing my crap into the dumpster, calling goodwill or salvation army and be on a flight tomorrow. Yeah, to be honest the drinking is my vice. I like to drink a few days out of the week and when I do, I get a bit loose with my spend. I buy rounds of drinks and shots and make sure everyone is getting drunk and having a good time. Not a bad guy to hang out with! I guess in PP Cambo this would not be a big deal at .50 a beer. 50K a year would be living high on the hog for sure...I will try to keep it closer to 36 to 40K. This will give me 3 to 4 years no job easy.

NoDoubt and drifter like this.
  13. uatgbr

uatgbr Member

i've been living in bkk for about 10 years, although i only spend about 8 months/year there. sukhumvit soi 50 is not too far from the action. as you say, take the BTS when you go out and a taxi when you go home. cowboy doesn't have much to offer these days. i prefer nana plaza. billboard seems to be the most popular go go there right now. sukhumvit soi 22 is okay, some massage shops and queen park plaza for ladies at night. good luck with your trip.

kokopelli and drifter like this.
  14. wolfsbane93

Thanks buddy, yeah I have a feeling 22 will be our first stop late at night since I get in during the wee hours. Next day will be a combo of Nana and Cowboy. Then check out Kasalong one of the days early on before we go out mongering.

I just woke up at 2am this morning to start adjusting my clock. It helps me before I make a big flight, so that I am tired enough to maybe sleep a little...like stepping into the time machine.

T minus 1 day and counting until lift off. I will keep you guys posted on the antics and will be sure to share the stories as the adventure unfolds.

Frankly, I have a feeling that I will not want to come back to the states, it will be hard to head to Swampy on my last day.

drifter and kokopelli like this.
  15. wolfsbane93

ok, so I am chatting with my bro this morning and we are making plans. Since the trip will be decent in duration, we are thinking of making a quick jump to Phnom Penh. Fly out, stay a day, fly back...basically get a hotel there near the Riverside (riverwalk??) at one of the hotels for about 35 USD a night, and basically hang out on 136 and 51 and around there. Air Asia flight for cheap. What do you guys think?

I know that there is alot of experience here on this forum. Recommendations? I see many good hotels that would be suitable near there, short walk or tuk tuk to the hot spots. Basically want to get a couple joints from Red Fox (i think that is what it is) and then bar hop and look for some honeys.

Eat some food, drink some 50 cent Angkor beer and just rage a little.

Suggestions and comments welcome. Also feel free to PM me any dirty details.

I remember reading a story about bypassing lines in customs, is this still the drill? Give the officer a little cash and head of line? Just thinking of time savers basically.

Robert kraut and Skins like this.
  16. wolfsbane93

17. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Wow, I would say that is more than enough to live comfotably, unless you need to drink copious amounts every day and shag pros at least once a day.

drifter likes this.
  18. wolfsbane93

Drink 2 to 3 times a week, shag about the same...good life.

Dale and drifter like this.
  19. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Good life!

wolfsbane93 likes this.
  20. Ghengis

Ghengis Well-Known Member

If you’re on soi 22 try the No Idea restaurant owned by a retired New Zealand airline pilot.

wolfsbane93 likes this.
meet sexy vietnamese girls online vietnam cupid online dating guide sexy thai girls online best dating site in the philippines