Best place in Asia on a $US 1200 per month?(or suggest other regions)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by swissss, Jun 7, 2016.

1. swissss

swissss Guest

Hey

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2016
    Skins and wanderluster like this.
  2. wanderluster

wanderluster Curry Bling Bling

Chiang Mai, Thailand. You could live like a king in that budget sans booze.

3. lucalbert

lucalbert Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with wander, as it is my favourite city in Asia....but really, almost anyplace north of BKK is attainable at this price. And anyplace other than PP in Cambodia is a bargain...Kampot is very liveable as well.

Skins and swissss like this.
  4. wanderluster

wanderluster Curry Bling Bling

Absolutely

chopdrifter likes this.
  5. chopdrifter

chopdrifter Bearded Pirate

Outside of the lack of water, you bastards really make me want to move to Chiang Mai... I am looking at my starting income to be about 1000 when I move... I am not much for drinking, but i do love trying new places as a foodie... so, hopefully I will be able to survive.

6. Skins

Skins Head Nigga in Charge Staff Member

I'd say any second tier city in Thailand, Vietnam or Cambodia you would do fine. You wouldn't be buying out the bar every night but that's a good thing anyways.

You could live in Bangkok, Saigon or Phnom Penh as well but it will be a simple lifestyle. You saw my last month expense report where I spent $823.

I didn't party but I had a few cans of beer most nights. I ate delicious street food but no fancy restaurants. I fucked some nasty hookers, no high end pussy. I have some girlfriends too so that helps.

Also factor in visa runs and extensions. They add up.

7. mistergrumpus

mistergrumpus I Ride My Bicycle To Church

Chiang Mai really is a sweet spot.

There's also that one cost-of-living site where you can compare any two cities. Really nice.

You'll certainly find East/Centrl Europe places that cost this little. The #2 city (not Prague) in Czech has $300 rents also.

You just need to be ready to be cold half the year.

Me, I'm making sure to hit:
    o Czech
    o Chiang Mai
    o Davao
    o Da Nang
    ...for 1-3 months each.

chopdrifter and Skins like this.
  8. mistergrumpus

mistergrumpus I Ride My Bicycle To Church

Skins likes this.
  9. dantehall

dantehall Well-Known Member

i did under 1100 in bangkok the first month i ever lived there so for a major city i would say there

for a big but not huge city i would say cebu

for a mongering town my vote would go to angeles

chopdrifter likes this.
  10. tc_pattaya

tc_pattaya Legendary Member

Skins and DonTravolta like this.
  11. chopdrifter

chopdrifter Bearded Pirate

numbeo only works for places that people know about it... it is reliant upon constant updates from members... so most of the 2nd tier places are incomplete

Skins likes this.
  12. Livingthedream

Livingthedream Well-Known Member

As the boys say above, Chang Mai you could live like a king..rental property is dirt cheap up there..I've lived in samui for the last year or so, you could live here or in Phuket, but you will be living more frugally without the large penthouse apartment. I personally choose to live that way, as I love being near the beach and ocean; I snorkel most days..Chang Mai is cheap, but I choose not to live in a city....each to their own...depends what you value. Either way, it's all good...

Skins and chopdrifter like this.
  13. Cinnic

Cinnic Member

Never understood the point of moving/living abroad on such a limited budget. I would rather stay at home where I am knowledgeable on how to live cheaply and invest until I have at least double of $800 a month( $2000) would be better. What is the point going of going though the hassle of traveling only to live like a monk?

14. southernallstars

southernallstars Well-Known Member

it's the girls, maybe coming from Brazil you have no needs to travel and make sacrifices for them?

15. drifter

drifter Well-Known Member

My vote is for Pattaya. Definitely cheaper than Bangkok and even better food choices. Almost any cuisine you'd like, often for under $10 dollars. There's YouTube videos on living on $5 a day for food eating Thai. You don't have to go nearly that cheap. There are rooms for rent for under $300 a month. The ocean is right here and the sunsets are beautiful. And there are nearby islands to explore.

Could you live here on under $1200? Yes, easily. And there is superb value for your money.

EDIT: Try asking a Thai if you can 'get by' on 40,000 baht a month and watch them laugh.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Ghengis, Tunahead, Skins and 2 others like this.
  16. LadLife

LadLife Well-Known Member

Im seriously considering a week excursion to pattaya to get a feel for the place as a possible relocation point.

17. Sean

Sean Well-Known Member

I'd also say Pattaya over Chiang Mai. Plenty of places to rent for 5k a month ($170), more expat oriented, by the sea, more English spoken. There may be a few girls around who don't require dating as well.

I don't understand the draw of Chiang Mai unless you're a nature/hippy type.

drifter, Skins and southernallstars like this.
  18. Skins

Skins Head Nigga in Charge Staff Member

Have you ever been to South East Asia? (Serious question.) Because you sound like a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about. I assure you I have never lived like a monk.

You wouldn't be balling with $800 a month but you can rent a clean, new, furnished, serviced apartment walking distance to the beach. You can rent a motorbike. You can eat out every meal. You never have to cook, clean or do laundry. There are thousands of cute young broads around that are down to fuck. The weather is warm and the people are friendly. (Most of them.)

You can work online part time and afford this lifestyle. Then you have a shit load of free time on your hands to scale up your income from there. Or maybe you're already making $2k a month online and you want to save half. Where can you do this in the west?

JohnnyB, Ghengis, Tunahead and 2 others like this.
  19. the lockmaster

the lockmaster Well-Known Member

@Cinnic

Exactly. For around $1000usd/month, you can live a very comfortable lifestyle. As Skins said, usually for $350 or less, you can rent a clean, modern room/studio apartment with air con, Wi-Fi, a refrigerator and maybe a small kitchen. The building will provide you with a cleaning lady, whom at the minimum will clean your room 1-2x per week. If you stay in a hotel, they will clean your room everyday. Each time you will get a clean set of sheets and towels. They will also do your laundry for you at a fee of $10-15/month.

You can eat out every single meal at a restaurant for less than $10/day. You will never do food shopping, cooking or cleaning ever again. Unless you have your own kitchen and want to. In which case, you will spend even less money. So 30 x 10= $300/month.

You'll have some miscellaneous expenses on top of this. Such as Visa, toiletries,etc. Maybe $50-100/month total.

Then, as also mentioned above. There are a ton of hot chicks to date.

As an English teacher making $18/hr. Very doable in Vietnam. You only have to work around 10-12 hours/week to meet your basic living expenses. So any hours beyond that go to your entertainment fund, or savings or whatever you wish.

Working only 15-20 hours a week. You can bang hot chicks, eat out every meal, never do any housework chores, never have to worry about bills/mortgages/insurance/etc. You also have plenty of free time to pursue your hobbies. Exercise, cycling, swimming, snorkeling,hiking,blah, blah, blah.

Of course you won't be driving a BMW or eating at Steakhouses all the time. But it's hardly a bare bones lifestyle.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    LadLife, Skins, wanderluster and 2 others like this.
  20. lovinglife

lovinglife Member

Look like I'm in good company. Wherever I go for holidays, I usually end up wishing I'd just gong to Chiangmai instead! :D:D:D

Skins and wanderluster like this.
agoda banner ad hotel best vpn 2017 tunnel bear sexy thai girls online best dating site in the philippines