Landing planning (retard-tier question)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by mistergrumpus, Sep 19, 2017.

1. mistergrumpus

mistergrumpus I Ride My Bicycle To Church

Please criticize:

I'm getting my guts together to finally move my ass out in November. First mission is a 60+30=90-day stint in Chiang Mai.

(So original of me! I know I know.)

I can finagle visas and triage+pack my shit from here. But there's the question of where to live. I want an apartment, ideally a 1-bedroom that I can use as an office and top secret unlicensed Mad Science dojo.

My best guess is that I use agoda.com to reserve a place for 1-2 weeks, and then once I arrive there I devote that time to noodling around, getting the lay of the place and finding a "real" apartment to lease for less money on a per-month basis.

That sound about right to you?

Would you suggest 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 4 weeks to explore around and commit to a proper apartment for the remainder of my 90-day?

Any "special sauce" tips and tricks you can give me?

(As for what I'll do after the 90-day expires, if I love CM then I might try shuttling back-and-forth between there and Vientiane. Or if I don't like CM then I'll just move my ass out entirely. After 90 days living as a free man in Thailand, I'm sure I'll have very different plans and priorities than I have now.)

tc_pattaya likes this.
  2. Skins

Skins Head Nigga in Charge Staff Member

I usually book a hotel for two nights. I search for cheap rooms on Agoda that have good reviews. Land, drop your bags there, then hit the streets and look for apartments in person. If you need more time then just pay the hotel for a few more nights. It's shouldn't take you weeks to find an apartment. 2-3 days max if you're really out looking every afternoon. I don't know much about apartment hunting in Chiang Mai but I know cheap clean rooms are plentiful there. Good luck!

James.Master and drifter like this.
  3. drifter

drifter Possessing a well sized member

You are hitting there in high season, but still, I can't imaging it taking you a week to find a nice room. I'd get there, just relax my first day or two, then in 2-3 days easily find a nice apartment/condo. Get a 3 month rental, and sure, you'll leave a few days early, but you'll save far more than that by renting for 3 months.

4. drifter

Ok, I give up. Why Chang Mai for 3 months? Honestly, rethinking it; ie, after really reading your post instead of cherry picking what I wanted to reply to.

Unless you've been there before and are sure it suits you. I'd go shorter term. Maybe a month. Then check out Bangkok, and Pattaya. Maybe a few islands.

Chang Mai strikes me as a place where the clueless sit around in coffee shops debating what Thai girls really want (Hint: usually baht and (hopefully) a good banging).

Hey, different horses for different courses, but I worry that that city will feed into your more dangerous tendencies. To overthink to the point of stasis. If I'm wrong or too right, I apologize. And if you like, just message me and I'll edit or remove my remarks.

Regardless, the best of luck on your forthcoming adventures. I'm glad it's happening for you.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  5. BobbyTwoTimes

BobbyTwoTimes Legendary Member

Yeah why Chiang Mai? You already know what you're supposed to do. Get off the plane, get a SIM card, get a taxi, go to Pattaya.

NoDoubt, James.Master, Raito and 2 others like this.
  6. Skins

I think his head would explode if he went from Buttfuck, USA to Soi 6, Pattaya within 24 hours. This is our dear friend Grumpus we're talking about here. Chiang Mai is a good place for him to get started. Remember this is a special case. We need to ease him into this lifestyle. A few rub and tugs. Then maybe a few coffee dates. Don't worry I'm sure he will be getting blown in public at the Windmill within a few months. :D

7. mistergrumpus

There's a chance I won't need an apartment at all, but rather a self-storage place where I can stash some loot while exploring around elsewhere.

I need to be logistically close to some other Asian countries for some side-trips that will happen on Other People's Schedules. So, an airport.

I have been to CM before and it was quite decent. Though that was years ago.

I have a bunch of Thailand places I want to go see, with bicycle, and the Thai rail network hooks all of those up very nicely.

CM has some nice technical infrastructure that I REALLY need to evaluate, because it could help me with income. I'll also investigate the same things in Bangkok.

I just can't let people know that I've been to Pattaya. I've seen some YouTubes from there and goddamn. I'd come back hell-bound, broke, STD-infected, and even more suspicious of women than I am now.

Next would be Philippines, but since Phil's is more expensive to come and go from, I'm putting that off until I've "settled" on Thailand and Indo-China.

drifter and BobbyTwoTimes like this.
  8. drifter

Damn @BobbyTwoTimes, nothing like taking someone and tossing him right into the deep end. Then chanting, "swim bitch, swim".

Ignore him @mistergrumpus. He's a bit obsessed.

(And I mean that in the nicest way possible, bobby.

ps, you have to get back before long. I was at soi 6 today and said to a girl at Ruby's, "Remember @BobbyTwoTimes?" And she said, bobby who?)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    BobbyTwoTimes likes this.
  9. BobbyTwoTimes

BobbyTwoTimes Legendary Member

Pattaya has a lot of craziness going on, but overall it's pretty laid back. I think he'd be fine :)

drifter likes this.
  10. drifter

Says the man who was nailing 3-5 girls a day! On top of partying like an animal. I'd meet you at 10pm, and crap out by midnight. And I don't even drink!

BobbyTwoTimes likes this.
  11. Ramblin' Man

Ramblin' Man Well-Known Member

Hope you're better at the visa thing than me. I just extended my visa today in CM and hopefully others can learn from my mistakes.

First, if you search for where to go, you might find this page:

https://www.immigration.go.th/branch_center

Which will tell you the office is way north of town. Complete bullshit. It's actually by the airport, but it's now closed for renovation. It should open back up on Dec 1, but... Anyway, if you use Uber, that's the place that shows up. I knew I had to go east of the square instead, but didn't know exactly where. I assumed the driver would know where to go, because this place is crawling with farang, Japs, and Chinks. He couldn't understand me when I tried to tell him the Uber map was wrong. I facepalmed and let him drive me to the construction site, and the sign there told us where the temporary office was.

*** Promenada Mall, if anyone needs to go soon.

There are websites that tell you all you need to photocopy is your passport. Bull. Shit. You need a signed copy of:
    -the page with your info
    -the page with the 60-day visa
    -the page with the entry stamp (could be the the same photocopy sheet as the visa)
    -your departure card

They want your phone # and email on the form, even though they haven't updated the form with additional lines for these. :rolleyes:

I had to stand in line 3 times in the copy shop area. (Rant: Instead of making me wait in line to pay 2 baht for a photocopy, why don't you just bump the extension fee up by 50 baht and photocopy everything your own damn self?) She let me go straight to the front of the line when I remedied my missing copies, at least.

How's this for dialog:
    -Write your name here please.
    -Print or sign?
    -Your name.
    -Of course. :rolleyes:

As an aside, visa photos are 200 baht at the immigration copy shop, but only 100 baht at a neighborhood camera store. If you have leftovers from elsewhere, they have to be Thai-sized (4x6cm I believe), not American or Singaporean or whatnot. Not sure how anal they are about that.

My bureaucratic pleasure was interrupted by lunch hour, but I got some shopping done in the mall. Without that, I'm guessing it would have taken 3 hours, maybe less. If you go early in the morning and do everything correctly, it'll go much faster.

drifter and wanderluster like this.
  12. Travelt

Travelt Well-Known Member

CM is just tourist/hipster cafes wall to wall. Way too many white people and tie-dye wearing fags. Oh and those red taxis will not leave you alone. I didn't last a week there.

13. mistergrumpus

Dude! So the hipster-tourists weren't restricted to certain neighborhoods, but were all over the place?

Or rather, is it that the farang-free parts of town were completely uninteresting to you?

14. Skins

I think you should scope it out for yourself. It's been three years since I've been there so maybe things have changed. But when I was there I enjoyed it. There was decent nightlife, mongering options, good food all over the place. Motorcycle trips to Pai and Mae Hong Son. Not my favorite place in Thailand by a long shot but it was fun for a month. And I think I would be quite happy living there long term.

If you're looking for a laid back small town vibe with less dreadlocked farangs then try Udon Thani. I haven't been but it sounds like a smaller version of Chiang Mai. Plus you're a stones throw from the Laos border which is convenient for visa runs or even hanging out in Laos for a while.

15. Ramblin' Man

Confession time: I love hipster cafes if I'm the only farang there, or at least if I can't hear them talking.

Travelt likes this.
  16. Skins

What makes it a hipster cafe? Just the presence of hipsters? Beards, skinny jeans, wool caps even in the summer time, shit like that? I don't think I've ever seen such an establishment.

17. Ramblin' Man

The interior looks like it came out of a Wes Anderson movie.

Travelt and BobbyTwoTimes like this.
  18. Travelt

You are right, I didn't explore the whole city. There are over 40,000 expats living there, so I would think they are all over the place. Not just within the old city walls.

Where are the farang-free parts? What is interesting there to you? Besides the mountains and chill hippie atmosphere?

19. Travelt

Basically just a gourmet artisan coffee shop with a trendy design. I went to a few, they charge $5 for a latte. One place had chain swings for chairs. I mean is this a cafe or a sex dungeon??o_O These are in CM:

swing.JPG

Attached Files:

Skins likes this.
  20. ryan754326

ryan754326 Well-Known Member

My idea of a hipster cafe is one where everyone there asks me how much I am paying for my room, then they all tell me that $15 is way too much - but their hostel has a few empty bunk beds left for $3 a night if I want to move.

meet sexy vietnamese girls online vietnam cupid online dating guide sexy thai girls online best dating site in the philippines