Opening a Bank Account in Cambodia

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Skins, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Skins

Skins Head Nigga in Charge Staff Member

Recently opened a bank account in Cambodia. If anyone is interested in this info they can read the blog post here. Any questions let me know.

creepyuncleron and Sean like this.
  2. Travel Bum Bum

Travel Bum Bum Well-Known Member

Great info... fist bump > Canada

Skins likes this.
  3. Skins

You mean, America's hat? :D

4. the lockmaster

the lockmaster Well-Known Member

You can pull 8 million dong at one time using Citibank atm on Nguyen Hue street in Saigon.

That's where I always go to use an atm.

Skins likes this.
  5. Skins

Thanks for the tip. Always wondered where these elusive machines were hiding.

6. wanderluster

wanderluster Curry Bling Bling

Wait a minute...You can pull USD out of ATM?

7. Skins

Yeah Cambodia uses USD. They only use their currency for change under a dollar. $1 dollar = 4,000 Khmer Riel. There's no US coins there.

wanderluster likes this.
  8. Ramblin' Man

Ramblin' Man Well-Known Member

Seems as good a place to any to ask: I also got a Schwab account, and someone online said they were pestering him for spending so much time overseas. Everyone else seems to have no trouble with them. Anyone have anything to share? Also, their travel notice is only good for 30 days, but blew right past that and it didn't seem to trigger anything. Does it matter?

9. pulfidor

pulfidor Member

would it be possible to open an account on a visa run from Vietnam during a couple days' trip in PP?

10. Skins

That's strange. I've haven't stepped foot in America for four years and I've never had a problem with them. The opposite actually. The few times I had to contact them about something they were polite and quick to respond. The travel notification lasts longer than 30 days for sure. I think it's 90? Maybe even longer. Or maybe they just know I live in Asia now. I can't even remember the last time I emailed them to reset it.

11. Skins

Yes it's easy to open an account but it takes a week to get the ATM card made. And you have to go pick it up at the bank in person and bring your passport. They won't mail it.

12. creepyuncleron

creepyuncleron Well-Known Member

Dude >5% on a 24 month term with $100 min. That's incredible!
    although the Schwab rates are still the best deal by far at 15%

13. brockstar

brockstar Legendary Member

Very useful info here. Seems a lot more lenient than Thai banks, only BKK bank will allow a foreigner to open an account without a work permit.....or at least they used to. Viet banks sound extremely similar to Chink banks in that it's quite easy to get an account (outside of SZ, SH and Beijng), but getting money out is a huge pain in the ass. Only difference being you can actually exchange RMB, unlike the lowly Dong.

Skins likes this.
  14. Skins

Yeah people complain about the third worldliness of Cambodia but it comes with some perks. The main ones being complete freedom and lack of regulation.

15. Skins

15% :confused: Where are you seeing that?

16. creepyuncleron

17. Skins

creepyuncleron likes this.
  18. creepyuncleron

I guess you never bothered to check the fucking 35% rates on the saving account with same No min balance, free ATM yada yada?
    Schwab is the shit man!

Skins likes this.
  19. Skins

Agreed. It's only for Americans right?

20. creepyuncleron

One of my UK friends recently opened an account out of the London office (he lives part time in Hui Hin) . I don't know the specifics but he was most interested in the free worldwide ATM use? I'm sure the rate are comparable?

Skins likes this.
meet sexy vietnamese girls online vietnam cupid online dating guide sexy thai girls online best dating site in the philippines