Time for an update since moving to SEA

Discussion in 'Travel' started by evo, Jan 12, 2018.

1. evo

evo Well-Known Member

Wow oh wow. I don't even know where to begin...

After I booked my one way flight to Thailand, a new life began for me. And it's been a mix of absolute enjoyment to be living in SEA while lamenting the fact that I should have done this much sooner.

I first discovered SMP in 2016 and began reading/lurking on the site. This eventually inspired me to join the community here in early 2017. And as 2018 begins, I'm soooo happy to have made this transition in life. It was a very long time coming, and for the first time in my life, I truly feel at peace in life to be here enjoying Asia. I sold everything in the US, and I mean everything. I only own what fits into my backpack, and I've never been happier.

After spending a couple months in Thailand, I have spent time in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Cambodia. Everything is so cheap here, and I do not drink/party so I find myself living on far less than what I originally expected. This has meant I've been working less than I originally expected, and I've had much more time to live like a local and get a feel for these communities, enjoy the mongering/dating scene, and take time to be a tourist and enjoy the history/culture that is unique to each area.

I have had so many crazy things happen to me, and it's been overwhelming because it's been a nonstop adventure. I plan to slow things down a bit and chill out and find more balance.

I have never had an easier time in my life meeting girls. I consider myself an average looking dude, and Asian women have too much love for me. And there are too many girls. And too little time. We all know this dilemma. The women will eat you alive if you allow them, and you have to find some time for yourself to decompress and recharge at times.

I truly wish I had made this life decision a few years ago. But our minds only know what our minds know. And our perspective is our reality.

I have so much love for this site and community because I was able to make this transition in life because of SMP.

Looking forward to this new year!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. wanderluster

wanderluster Curry Bling Bling

Keep enjoying brother. Your comments will help other guys too who are still lurking behind trying to find a solution to their predicament(s).

Skins and evo like this.
  3. kev_head

kev_head Well-Known Member

Congrats, and look forward to joining you soon!

Skins and evo like this.
  4. JohnnyB

JohnnyB Well-Known Member

What’s your reason for not partying? My grandfather told me never to trust a man that doesn’t drink.

* true statement. Not trolling. Yet.

5. Mikefox

Mikefox Well-Known Member

Good for you in making the move!

Tell us a few of your best stories so far and favourite places you visited?

Skins and evo like this.
  6. ryan754326

ryan754326 Well-Known Member

I have to say I’m jealous. Hopefully I can be telling a similar story in a few months.
    What’s your work situation @evo? Are you running an online business, teaching English, or other?

Skins, evo and wanderluster like this.
  7. wolfsbane93

wolfsbane93 Well-Known Member

Do tell, I am 70 days from my jump date. Where are you now? I do drink and monger a bit, but would love to pick your brain over a soda or fruit juice ...my treat! Thailand is first just to be there for Songkran. Then Cambodia, then Philippines...maybe. This is all very fluid.

NoDoubt, Skins and evo like this.
  8. evo

evo Well-Known Member

When I was in college, I would drink and party. I enjoyed it until the next day... I would spend time outdoors riding my moto or hiking somewhere, and I didn't like the feeling of being dehydrated. I decided to take a break to see what would happen, and I just felt so much better.

For me, drinking affects me physically and mentally the following day. And I would prefer to spend my energy and focus on the things I set out to do every day. Going out drinking doesn't help me in that regard, so it's something I no longer do.

And I do not care if other people drink or party. I sincerely mean that. All of my friends in the US would drink, and it never bothered me.

9. evo

evo Well-Known Member

Many of my best stories come from meeting a girl, and within a date or two, we are off on some fun adventure somewhere. And here I am, waking up in a bed next to this absolutely beautiful stunning girl, and I feel like this is all a dream. The problem, and the fun, is there are too many girls who have too much time. And I find that I attract a certain type of girl. As soon as a girl hears that I don't drink, don't party, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't have any tattoos, don't have any piercings, and don't want to eat Western food... they think I'm the most perfect man on the planet and we should be together for the rest of our lives. Generally speaking, I do not and try not to lie to girls, but my definition of girlfriend (from the US) is different than their definition of girlfriend (from Asia), so after hooking up, we have different expectations of the outcome. And I've come to realize that everything will sort itself out as time goes on. And then there's the next girl, and it happens again, and again, and again... it will make your head spin!

Every day, when something crazy happens, I think about some post or story I read on SMP, and I'm reminded of that quote when Han Solo reflects on everything and says "It's true. All of it." Here's a spoiler free Star Wars moment to show the clip I'm referring to:

It's true. All of it. All the crazy things you read about on here are true. And just when you think you've seen it all, nope, there's more. There's always more. Go to another country, and there's more.

A couple funny moments that I recall happening...

I was riding the BTS in Bangkok with this one girl. As we were getting off the BTS, the doors open, and there was the girl I hooked up with the night before on her way to work getting onto the BTS at the same door. What are the odds of this happening? When the doors open, I started walking, and she looked up from her phone and saw me with the other girl, and hit me hard with her purse. I just kept walking with the new girl, who asked what happened, and I said I had no idea who that person is and shrugged it off. And we hooked up later that evening.

Don't stay at the same hotel for too long. Thai girls can easily get past security and get to your door. Even if you need an access card for the elevator, they go up the fire escape stairwell once they know what room you are in. Once, I came back to my hotel with a girl, and there was another girl I hooked up with before who was sitting in the hallway at my door. She had been waiting for over 6 hours to see me. She didn't accept my break up text and thought she could make things good because I was the one for her. I'm not exaggerating, she sat there for 6 hours with a bag of potato chips and her phone plugged in chatting on Line just to wait for me. I try to be very clear when I end things, but this one was more persistent in thinking that we should give things another try. When she saw me come back with another girl, she was super angry and upset. I don't like drama.

For me, Indonesia was by far the easiest place to pick up girls. Thailand was easy, there are so many of them, it's just a numbers game. But Indonesia was off the charts. I spent a few weeks in Jakarta, and wanted to spend more time there just to keep hooking up with girls, but the traffic and the visa situation sucks in that country. Horrible. I got over to Bali as well, and it was easier in some ways but less girls than Jakarta.

Indonesia was the first time I started hiring prostitutes to just come over to my place. Sometimes I would be talking to a girl and she would show up with her friend, and ask me to choose which of them I liked better. The one I liked would come to my room and the other one would wait in the lobby.

I was able to hook up with some girls in Malaysia, but I found it took much more time. More talking, more planning, more of everything. And Thailand had spoiled me at this point, so I had lost some patience. I would like to go back and give it another try at some point.

I have found Vietnam to also be better than Thailand. I'm at the point now where I only use one or two apps, because if I have all of them turned on, I just get flooded with too many girls. I'm absolutely amazed how many girls are still checking in with me every week or two to see how I am because they are free and want to hang out. I just don't have the time for all of them.

I'm currently in Cambodia, and not a big fan of the girls here. I think because I came from Vietnam and it was so easy there. I fly back to Vietnam next week... and the next couple weeks are over pipelined already. I don't even know how I'm going to survive this lol

kokopelli, dangnomad, JohnnyB and 7 others like this.
  10. evo

evo Well-Known Member

Getting out of the US took some time for me. I was very intentional with my time, trying to take care of everything so I didn't have to go back and take care of anything. I don't know that I will ever come back to the US. Seriously. I don't tell people what to do, but I would strongly encourage you to spend your time doing what you can so you can make this transition.

If you enjoy this lifestyle, your version of paradise is everything that you want it to be. I keep telling my friends... it's whatever you want it to be. I love spending time in these countries with beautiful, young girls who are happy to spend time with me. I enjoy myself. For me, it's not just hooking up with girls, but I also like to learn about the culture and the history and get a feel for the community. I'm having an absolute blast and enjoying myself every day!

I don't have the patience or time to teach a language. It's hard enough to speak broken English with these girls. The more beautiful they are, the more willing I am.

My work is websites. The only thing I know how to do is work on the Internet. I manage and develop websites for people, and it's become easier to do since Internet access is fairly ubiquitous anywhere you go in this world.

I do not work for any company. I pick up freelance projects here and there. And it's easy to get new freelance work of all sorts over at Upwork.com which is where most digital nomads go to find jobs you can do remotely.

I was spending too much when I first made the move. I started out in Thailand and rented a hotel and it ate up my budget too fast. It just comes down to what you want to do and how you want to do it. I don't need to hook up with a girl every night... I'm fine with once or maybe twice a week now. I will get a hotel on those nights. But on any given night, I'm fine just getting a hostel somewhere and keeping my costs low. Just depends on the country. In some places, I found Airbnb or hotels to be better options, but hostels have allowed me to keep my costs low.

I try to avoid the backpacker areas because I'm not into the party hostels. I like the ones that are clean, secure, and have good reviews. Just like anything else, do your research. You'll find the good ones.

There are some nice hostels in Asia, and they are cheap too. And for me, they meet my main goals of being able to take a shower before I goto bed, getting a good night sleep, and having good Internet to do some light work or talk to girls before you goto sleep so you have some dates pipelined for the upcoming days.

And when I want to hook up with a girl, I just book a hotel room and pay the premium on those days.

I also find that when I sleep at hostels, I don't lay in bed and waste my time in the morning. I like to get up, eat breakfast, and start my day and get out of there.

Most of all, you're saving money. And you will find the less money you spend, the more freedom you have.

I mentioned earlier that I do not drink or party. This also helps keep my cost of living down. When I meet a girl, first dates are either coffee/tea/smoothie somewhere or take a walk at the park. Girls love it when you come up with some idea like take a walk in the evening hours together. I like it because I am spending little to no money while I feel out the girl to see what I think.

I'm not saying be super cheap. Do what makes you happy. But for me, my priority is spending the least amount of money while finding a balance of enjoying these countries and the women both.

NoDoubt, fireblade, kokopelli and 5 others like this.
  11. evo

evo Well-Known Member

No on the soda or fruit juice. Yes to coffee or tea.

I'm currently in Cambodia. I picked up a one year multi entry visa for Vietnam and will be heading back to Vietnam next week some sometime. And I have some very beautiful girls waiting for me... one of them lives in the countryside outside of HCM and I believe to be the most beautiful girl I've ever seen in all of Vietnam. She doesn't know this. She doesn't think this. But her 26 year old body does not lie.

I've been buying one way tickets and haven't been trying to plan too much. But I will be back over to Thailand for some doctors appointments I have in Bangkok in the upcoming months. I will most likely be there for a week or two while you're there. And there is a volunteer project to help build houses for the homeless in the Philippines that I'm considering to do for one week, and then spend some time exploring that country as well.

Let me know as the time gets closer for you and I'll see where I'm at. Happy to help. Cheers!

kokopelli, dangnomad, Ghengis and 4 others like this.
  12. Skins

Skins Head Nigga in Charge Staff Member

Great thread evo! Congrats it sounds like you're thriving out here. I love reading about guys like you and @drifter who recently made the jump and are now living the dream. Live it up guys. :cool:

kokopelli, evo, drifter and 1 other person like this.
  13. wolfsbane93

Awesomeness, I will definitely keep in touch. I plan on using the wisdom on these forums and from good folks like you than to just bumble through my experience in Asia making mistakes. I think my first month will be quite expensive already, starting with a hotel until I get my bearings. Off Soi 11, Grand President Hotel. I got a pretty killer daily rate for 19 days. Free breakfast included.

From there i will figure out my next step and living situation, ideally i do not want to spend more than 600 per month on a flat if I can. Going through Airbnb will only work initially, then I will have to find something locally, but my friend can help me with that. He already has a lock on a place that is cheaper than my budget number. Says its brand new and really nice, comes furnished with aircon as well. That is cool.

The only thing that sucks is having to book these tickets in advance so that I dont have issues with immigration. Good thing that Air Asia is so cheap, a little over a hundred bucks, but it will be possibly a wasted ticket. I am just curious if they allow changes to the dates and or locations for a small fee? I will have to figure that one out as I am not sure if it will be Phnom Penh first or Manila after I leave BKK. May just head up to Chang Mai or another city in Thailand to check it out, but that depends on the chick situation.

I will need a guide more or less since I don't speak the language. Prefer a female guide, that I can guide into bed at night...lol.

kokopelli, Soni79 and kev_head like this.
  14. evo

evo Well-Known Member

I never buy tickets in advance.

I recommend renting a return ticket from flyonward.com

For about $10, this company will go ahead and purchase a refundable airline ticket in your name, on their dime. The ticket will then be automatically canceled after 24 or 48 hours. While it’s active, you’ll be able to view a real flight reservation under your name, and show it to the airline check-in agent or immigration officer, “proving” your onward travel. Simple, fast, and cheap.

15. Striker

Striker Well-Known Member

I’ve also had the girl wait for hours for me at the hotel on one occasion. She was in the lobby though and not at my floor.

Luckily I was with a mate just drinking that night so did not walk back with another girl. If she had been there the night before though...

So she was really sad and looked good. I didn’t have the heart to tell her to go away so took her up and fcked her.

Some girls get the hint straight away and just move on. The best ones are the ones who can comtinue a causal relationship. That is pretty rare though in Vietnam.

Skins and evo like this.
  16. Striker

Striker Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are having an awesome time and have things worked out pretty well.
    Still a few years before I make my move. Have done plenty of trips but look forward to being able to place some roots down somewhere.
    Make some friends, enjoy life beyond the girls and partying.
    Also your pool of girls opens up a lot more if you are there longer term. A lot of girls aren’t interested in travellers passing through. Rightly so as well.

Mikefox and evo like this.
  17. wolfsbane93

so you are successfully using this service? They have a shit load of bad reviews with customers stating that the ticket never arrived. Could be stupid user errors, but this sounds too risky to me. I would rather buy a legit refundable ticket and just repurpose it as needed.

evo likes this.
  18. fireblade

fireblade New Member

Great reading, cheers!

19. Vitob

Vitob Well-Known Member

I’ll be joining you ex-pats in a few years !! If not part time then full time. I can’t stand the thought of having a crappy social life with stuck up American bitches who think too much of themselves. Anyone ever notice some of the asian- American women got attitudes just like other American women ???? Especially the ones in California

NoDoubt and kev_head like this.
  20. NoDoubt

NoDoubt Well-Known Member

@evo congrats-- Just curious, what is your age range? Im hoping to make the move myself in the next 18 months... So loved to read your positive report. Also agree, the less stuff you have the more free you feel. Dont get trapped by material stuff... Ill be following with interest for sure.

kev_head and Ghengis like this.
meet sexy vietnamese girls online vietnam cupid online dating guide sexy thai girls online best dating site in the philippines