Vaccines?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by evo, Jun 18, 2017 at 4:25 AM.

1. evo

evo Member

I have a couple months remaining in the US and was thinking about the last time I had a vaccine of any kind...

Does anyone bother getting vaccines before heading to SEA?

2. Ghengis

Ghengis Well-Known Member

The biggest problem in Thailand is malaria. Some celebrity in Bangkok died from it a couple years ago but I haven't heard about anything recently. There's no vaccination for it.

3. drifter

drifter Well-Known Member

I checked it out but didn't bother.

Edit: I have had a tetanus shot recently. I think that's a good idea.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 1:16 PM
  4. southernallstars

southernallstars Well-Known Member

The only disease I worried about when starting travelling 5-6 years ago was Dengue, since I hear about people contracting it here and there, including two members on this board. I have found however that I hardly get stung by mosquitoes, maybe a few times per travel. The places I go are usually Malaria free, only Dengue mosquitoes survive in those developed areas. Many hotels also use insecticides for prevention, a private place may be less safe.

Skins and drifter like this.
  5. the lockmaster

the lockmaster Well-Known Member

I got the TwinRx shot for Hepatitis. A & B I think?

It's a series of 3 shots. The first and second shot are done close together. The 3rd and final shot is done 6-12 months after the 2nd shot.

As long as you get the first two shots............you are covered at around 80-90% I think.

Skins and drifter like this.
  6. DonTravolta

DonTravolta le spicy memer

Tetanos never hurts to have.

7. Skins

Skins Head Nigga in Charge Staff Member

I would say get these Hep shots if you haven't already. I didn't get any vaccines but then I had a close call with Hep so I went and got them. Started them actually... Still need to do the third one.

drifter likes this.
  8. drifter

Yes! I plan on visiting Bangkok Hospital for some blood work and seeing a doctor. Maybe I'll get the Hepatitis A & B then.

Skins likes this.
  9. mistergrumpus

mistergrumpus I Ride My Bicycle To Church

Oh dude. There are plenty of vaccinations that are super-cheap "power-ups", to paraphrase our absent buddy Swisss.

Will you probably catch any of these diseases!? No. But boy if you do, you'll be feeling like a miserable dumbass for not spending the $50 for the shot when you could have.

I'd say March into the doctor, tell them what's up, and they'll show you the whole menu. Get all you can.

But yes. Malaria medication is a bit much if you'll only be in built-up cities. But it's only $1-2/day if you want it.

drifter likes this.
  10. drifter

I am worried about Hepatitis A & B. So the vaccine is a good idea. I was going to do it in the US but since I'd need to get the last shot here anyway I figured I'd just wait.

11. mistergrumpus

Another point: Most vaccines are cheaper outside the US, so if you can get them in Bangkok then even more power to you.

drifter likes this.
  12. drifter

Yes. Funny, anytime I mentioned to my US health care providers or pharmacist that I would be getting things done or buying drugs in Thailand they got all freaked out. Oh, that's not safe over there. The drugs are probably fake...
    Hilarious. Because it's so much better to pay more than twice what any other country in the world pays for inferior product. And the US lifespan is what? 37th in the world?

<sigh>

EDIT: I just looked at a site about if Thailand was your home instead of the US. One number leapt out at me. I would pay 97% less for health care. And since in the US, health care is usually the next biggest expense, after rent, that's a hell of a difference.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017 at 10:38 AM
  13. mistergrumpus

(It's not really that you're paying 30X more for health care. It's that you're paying 30X more for other people's health care.)

14. drifter

I used to concern myself with this stuff. Now, I don't care. I don't have the time to concern myself with such things. I could spend today researching the intricacies and anomalies of health care and how "it's just so unfair" :( or I can do what I plan. And wake the pretty little thing next to me who's exhausted from my earlier efforts. After that, and maybe another little frolic, we're off to explore Bangkok, eat some great Thai food and check out a mall or two. Then, well she says "up to you" so I know what I'll want to do. :):):):):)

Life is good, my friend. And it just keeps getting better.

wanderluster likes this.
  15. mistergrumpus

"Excuse me waiter. I'd like to try what he's having."

drifter likes this.
  16. drifter

C'mon over buddy. We'll throw another girl on the Barbie for you.

agoda banner ad hotel best vpn 2017 tunnel bear sexy thai girls online best dating site in the philippines