What electronic gear to take to SEA for long term stay?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by drifter, Apr 2, 2017.

1. drifter

drifter Possessing a well sized member

Every OS upgrade I wait for this. Hopefully this time. And hopefully it won't be crippled and can handle all files. iOS can already handle downloading compressed files, then I can unarchive them and send them to the cloud or iBooks. But taking a bunch of naked ePubs and sending them to an SD card so I can put it in my ebook reader I can't do.

2. tc_pattaya

tc_pattaya Legendary Member

Have you tried emailing the ePub files to yourself and then clicking on the attachment to open it in your preferred reader app?

3. drifter

sure, that'd work. But I've got 2700 books on my ereader and tend to add over 100 at a time.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  4. tc_pattaya

With that much content, you should side load from a computer.

drifter and wanderluster like this.
  5. wanderluster

wanderluster Curry Bling Bling

HAha. Yep.

6. drifter

But look, I'm in Thailand. I plan to travel to many different Southeast Asian countries. And Eastern Europe and South America. Eating great food, working out, dating exotic women. Living life.

I'm not spending my time screwing around with a stupid computer! Seriously. That's half the reason I switched to iPads and an ereader. I spent years lost in cyberspace and it was great. But I'm here, now.

I'm not spending the rest of my days there again. And in response to all the "oh, but you can do this..." I say no. The game's not worth the candle.

To those younger than me, life is short. So short. And I mean that. With no condescension at all. After burying far too many loved ones, I woke up and realized how terrifyingly finite our lives are.

I'll keep my gadgets to a minimum.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Skins and wanderluster like this.
  7. Skins

Skins Head Nigga in Charge Staff Member

Damn I need to step my reading game up!

drifter likes this.
  8. drifter

All that time I was reading about life you were living it. So I wouldn't feel bad.

Skins likes this.
  9. Skins

Was about to start a new thread but then I remembered we had this one about electronics.

My MacBook Air - Two Years Later

A while back I wrote a blog post asking about the best travel laptop. After doing my research I decided to buy a MacBook Air. The 13 inch base spec model. I’ve been using this thing daily for over two years now so I thought I would give you a quick update.

I love it.

It’s official. I’m an apple fanboy. I will not purchase from any other manufacturer. I’m not going to geek out and get into computing specifications and all that shit. Technology is advancing so fast that six months down the line this will be outdated anyways.

I will just say this. My MacBook Air has been 100% trouble free from the moment I got it. Every time I open the laptop it wakes up instantly. It’s fast. The battery lasts all day. The fit and finish is fantastic.

This thing is a work of art. It’s sleek, light weight and it’s got the best keyboard I've ever experienced on a laptop. It’s just perfect. I do a lot of typing on my computer so I really appreciate the quality keyboard.

The one con about my MacBook Air.

The screen is pathetic. This screen is way out dated compared to other laptops on the market. At this price point there should be a higher resolution screen and there’s no excuse for it.

My previous laptop was a Lenovo. I forget the exact model but it was also a great machine. It was the same price as the MacBook at just over $1,000 USD. But the Lenovo had a crazy HD retina screen. Touch screen. Double the storage capacity of my mac and the the screen folded backwards into tablet mode. Very cool feature.

My Lenovo got stolen in Bangkok so I was forced to go out and buy a new computer. When I picked up the MacBook I was instantly disappointed with the screen. It was a huge step down from the Lenovo. But I don’t really watch movies or do any photo editing so a retina screen isn’t really necessary for my needs. Still, this laptop should have a better screen.

I considered buying the MacBook Pro which does have the retina screen but it’s heavier, more expensive and I just don’t need all the extra power that computer has. I decided to save my money and buy the air.

In Summary.

Besides the sorry ass screen this computer is absolutely perfect for my needs. My Mac and my iPhones have all been absolutely flawless. I can not say the same for many other devices I’ve owned over the years. And the best thing I ever did was quit dealing with windows. Mac OS is so much better. It takes some time to get used to it once you switch but it really is so much more intuitive IMO.

If you’re in the market for a device I would recommend Apple products. They aren’t the cheapest brand on the market, but you get what you pay for. Their stuff just works. I will probably stick with iPhones / MacBooks for life. And a Kindle Paper white comes in handy too.

Now who’s up for some geek talk? What kind of devices are you using right now?

drifter likes this.
  10. tc_pattaya

Apple seems to go with under-powered graphic cards to fit everything into those sleek enclosures. You could always hook up an iPad and use that as a second screen.

11. Skins

I'm in no rush to upgrade. They have that new MacBook which is sexy. Nice screen and super slim but it's even less powerful than my current Air. I'll see what they have out in 2019.

meet sexy vietnamese girls online vietnam cupid online dating guide sexy thai girls online best dating site in the philippines