agoda banner ad hotel

Where To Buy Quality Helmets and Motorcycle Gear in Thailand and Vietnam

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Skins, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Skins

Skins Head Nigga in Charge Staff Member

New blog post for you guys who like to ride. I recommend either bringing your own quality gear or buying from these shops.

Click Here For the post. Comment below! :cool:

2. LadLife

LadLife Well-Known Member

Good write up !
    I never had been on a bike till I came to Vietnam now I love the things

Thought it may be worth to mention when buying a bike if your not buying brand spankers take a local with you

I was lucky enough to meet a local dude here whose now my best buddy here helped me get a decent bike 2nd hand for cheap a I've only spent about 20 usd on it in 3 months for repairs.

Alternatively take your most business savvy girl with you . Paper work , bargaining, blue card transfer etc ..

You could hang by a hostel and ask a backpacker too can often pick up Honda wins when backpackers have to leave the country in a hurry .. I got one the other day for 1m and sold for 4m the next day .. downside they've usually been thrashed out so if you've got coin spend it .

On the other hand a really expensive bike only draws unwanted attention and my friends with them say it's a cunt when your more paranoid about your bike sitting outside than having a good time inside whatever your doing.

Road rules I've found seem to change from city to city in Vietnam . I can do whatever the fuck I please on my bike in nha trang but in da nang different story . Da lat I went to get a quick meal didn't wear my helmet ( dumb cunt ) got pulled over straight away told to go home

Skins likes this.
  3. Skins

Nice. Yeah I flipped a few bikes here. Backpackers will basically give them away when they're ready to leave. On another note, WHY do backpackers buy those Honda Wins? Horrible bikes. How many Vietnamese do you see riding those things?

Nothing wrong with old $300 bikes. I would go with a Wave or a Dream over the Win. Any back alley mechanic can fix them. And I totally agree about having a flashy bike... I want one, but I think about where I live and the place I go, and I say fuck that... I don't want to worry about it.

wanderluster likes this.
  4. LadLife

I got myself a Honda wave . It's been good to me .. after learning to ride I took it out for a whole day truely hadn't felt so free parked up on a hill above the city having a cold one.

Dunno I don't like the win either gets annoying constantly changing manual gears in traffic in my opinion .

I think people look up riding motorbikes in Vietnam and see a bunch of dudes posing with their wins and are like fuck yea that's gonna be me.

Skins likes this.
  5. LadLife

Would be hard to bust a nut in a dirty hoc toc with your nice Yamaha parked out front I bet haha

6. Skins

Haha yeah especially some of the places I go. There's no security or anything so I lock up my bike and hope for the best! Nobody wants my raggedy shit so it's all good.

Those Wins have a cult like following because of the back packers. I don't know, they all look like complete shit to me. They are pretty much all Chinese fakes that have been stripped down and rebuilt 50 times. You're asking for trouble buying one of those things. I wouldn't go near one.

A well preserved Wave or Dream is more reliable. Those cub engines are bullet proof. It's nice to have gears for riding in the mountains and it's also nice not having a clutch. Can carry shit in one hand and all that. They are great bikes.

wanderluster and LadLife like this.
  7. wanderluster

wanderluster Curry Bling Bling

All you guys know by now that I LOVE riding a motorcycle. I still have 3 after selling my Royal Enfield few months ago. I never wear any gear and I ride wearing flip flops while I am riding in my oldest living city on the planet. Reason? I am the slowest guy on a motorbike when I ride in my town. I ride at a ridiculously slow speed of max 35 KMPH while in town. And that is the MAX.

Now, the speed demon that I am, when I go on my motorcycle ritual every now and then during midnight hours, you bet your ass that I am fully geared up as I constantly ride at beyond 100 KMPH for a few hours on highways. That is my private time with myself and my bike. It just unwinds me to the extent that I forget everything else. Just me and my machine.

I hope I am making sense.......Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Lionshambles, firehazard and Skins like this.
  8. kris_105

kris_105 Well-Known Member

MEAN MACHINE

wanderluster likes this.
  9. wanderluster

Have you seen "STREET HAWK" when your were kid? That TV show changed my riding style. And I was only in my early teens then.

kris_105 likes this.
  10. Skins

Totally understand. I remember back in the States I would take a break from work and rip my bike around town for a quick 20 minutes. I'm talking red line that bitch all over town. I call it "two wheel therapy." Always get off with a smile on my face. :D

wanderluster likes this.
  11. firehazard

firehazard Pyromaniac

20161121_124043.jpg
    Came across this scene the other day. Second time this week that I've seen a scooter go under a truck. I don't think this person survived based on the massive pool of blood near the accident (I'm thinking severed jugular ) as well as the lack of urgency on behalf of the medical crew.

Who was to blame? Simple... the motorbike driver. The golden rule here is to pay attention to everyone'see driving . It's your responsibility not to be hit. Never assume that the other person will stop for you or see you. If at least one driver is paying attention then accidents will be easily avoided.

Trucks shouldn't have to pay as much attention to motorbikes either because they are much larger vehicles. If you don't want to get hit by a truck then do your best to avoid it because they won't stop for you and they might not even see (look out for) you.

wanderluster and Skins like this.
  12. Skins

Man that sucks. I've seen quite a few scenes like that myself and it's always very sobering...

Unfortunately, most locals do not heed your advice. They always pull out in traffic without looking, texting on their phones, never using blinkers, talking to each other while riding side by side. They're morons.

Just today I was cruising down the street and some kid pulled out of an alley right into traffic without looking. I mean he didn't even turn his head to glance at what was coming. Who does that??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: They just pull out and assume everyone will swerve around them.

I had to slam on my brakes so I wouldn't hit him. I pulled up along side and cursed him out. He just looked at me all confused with a dumb look on his face. Idiot! Oh well, one day he will probably end up mangled beneath a truck.

wanderluster and firehazard like this.
  13. the lockmaster

the lockmaster Well-Known Member

This same thing happened to me just last week. A lady pulls out of a side street w/o even looking. She came flying out too. Not even going slow. I had to hit the brakes hard just to avoid her.

Ironically, for all the stupid-ass shit that you see..................I've never seen a road-rage fist fight go down. I've hit the horn and cussed a few people, but of course I'm careful not to jump off the bike and start a fight. I've never seen it with anyone else though either. Even though many people could use an ass-kicking to "smarten them up a little".

Skins and wanderluster like this.
  14. the lockmaster

the lockmaster Well-Known Member

Nice little article. I should invest in a quality helmet. I agree, it could totally save your life. I bet you that I don't go more than 7 days in a row with seeing a bike go down. They are almost always low speed crashes, but I have seen the occasional gruesome "I wish I didn't look" type of crash.

For now, I go with the cheap plastic lid. Some cheap gloves and a jacket. I figure covering the skin up with any kind of material is better than leaving it exposed. Covering up also has other benefits. It keeps the sun off you, it helps keep the motorbike exhaust off of your clothes, and it keeps you covered up from the police so they don't see your white skin. :)

Skins and wanderluster like this.
  15. wanderluster

Fuck 'Nam.

Skins likes this.
  16. Skins

Yeah man I cover up like a local now. My cracker ass skin gets fried in the sun. Gloves protect you in a fall but also keep your hands from looking like an old catchers mit after a few years of daily riding in the sun.

Go to that shop in D3 and buy a full face helmet. You can get one for 2 million. DOT certified and all that. Get the all black visor and people don't know who you are. :cool:

wanderluster likes this.
  17. wanderluster

Hahaha. Poor you guys.

18. Skins

It's a great country. :)

wanderluster likes this.
  19. wanderluster

I know. A well-off gal told me that. And blocked me later to experiment. Haha.

20. creepyuncleron

creepyuncleron Well-Known Member

AGV and Shoei baby!

Skins likes this.
dating in asia